July 2, 2009

Kicking the Caffeine


I cut caffeine out from my life just under a month ago.

While it’s given me more energy throughout the day and made me realise my overreliance on what is really essentially a scary drug, the withdrawals were terrible. Cold sweats, nausea, headaches and snappiness... my poor husband and my best friend copped the brunt of it (sorry guys!).

But I’m proud to say that I’m officially caffeine-free and not looking back!

I've always been a tea drinker - my parents introduced it to me when I was only twelve years old. Black teas, green teas, white teas... you name it, and I've probably had it in my pantry at some point.

Socially it can be difficult to refuse, especially when coffee is an after-meal custom and a hot chocolate just doesn’t provide the same ‘warmth’. But I’m getting there...and no longer taking deep breaths in an attempt to breathe in other people’s coffee steam!

Rooibus tea has become my saviour. African in origin, it’s high in trace minerals (such as iron, potassium and magnesium), full-bodied like a black tea and tastes delicious... as well as being 100% caffeine-free. My naturopath - or herbalist, for those in the US – put recommended it a while back and though I was sceptical at first, it’s absolutely delicious! Luckily for me, it’s available at my local supermarket too.
Can you tell I'm eating breakfast while typing this? I'm a food fiend. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment